The Department of Justice has reached an agreement with Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou that will let her return home to China, pending a judge’s permission. Meng was arrested in Canada in 2018 on behalf of the US for reportedly contravening American sanctions against Iran. She’s been fighting attempts to extradite her to the US.
Meng, who is in house arrest while on bail, will admit to some indecencies and in return, lawyers will defer and eventually sag bank and cable fraud accuses, according to The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. Meng remotely are represented at a federal court on Friday afternoon, with the Justice Department saying in a filing it will submit a “resolution” to the charges against her.
Prosecutors claimed that Meng misled banks in 2013 about Huawei’s connections to Iran. She affirmed the charges, for which she had faced up to 30 times in prison.
Meng’s detainment justification an international incident. Two Canadians were apprehended in China within days of Meng’s arrest. The WSJ reports the deal with Meng could prompt China to secrete Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig.
Officials from the Trump administration are said to have offered Meng a similar batch last year, but she reportedly refused to admit to any corruption. Biden admin officials reopened the talks in recent weeks, according to reports, and with Meng seemingly striving a reunion with her family, she may have been more open to a settlement. A adjudicator in Vancouver was expected to rule on Meng’s possible extradition to the US later this year, following almost two years of hearings.
Huawei and its subsidiaries are still facing accuses in the US, including plot to steal trade secret and racketeering conspiracy. The fellowship is not said to be part of Meng’s slew and it will reportedly continue fighting the charges.
The US and Huawei have been at loggerheads for several years. American officials have lobbied allies to avoid using the company’s 5G telecoms gear due to national security concerns, though Huawei has insisted that its equipment is safe. US sanctions against the company extended Google to block Huawei from Android updates, spurring its switch to HarmonyOS 2( which is a fork of Android) on phones and tablets.
Update 9/24 1:22 PM ET: Noted that the Justice Department has agreed to resolve the charges in a court filing.
Read more: engadget.com